4 December 2012

Christmas Baking #1

It is the time of year when the family starts coming home and writing "Christmas Break-up" on the Wall planner.  This is the cue for me to start dusting off the Christmas Recipe books.

First request for this year was ...
"Mum, can you make a Gluten Free Christmas Pudding and can I have it for Tuesday?"
My (predictable) response was "Of course you can" whilst remembering back to my childhood when the lady down the road started making her Christmas puddings on Boxing Day (January 26) for the next year.
That meant I was about 11 months late!

I like a steamed pudding for Christmas but the thought of having the steamer going for up to 6 hours on a 40 deg C day does not fill me with any enthusiasm. BUT... whilst trawling the Internet for Gluten Free Pudding recipes I found a tip that confirmed what I had been wondering for a while...
You CAN make a steamed Pudding in a Slow Cooker - Fantastic!
No hot steamy kitchen and no boiled dry pots!

So armed with a recipe from one of my (not so dusty) cookbooks,
I swapped the flour for Gluten Free,
I raided the pantry, and used some mixed fruit that had been soaking in Grand Marnier,
I set to work and made......
5 individual steamed Gluten (and Egg) Free Christmas Puddings.

Then had some fun with DS#2 and his new camera to make my little pudding look like it came from a fancy recipe book!

4 comments:

  1. Oh how yummy that looks, I don't have any fruit on the pantry soaking lol oh dear I better get started a recipe for mine. I have not made Christmas pudding in years and was thinking about making one this year. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good!! I haven't had one in over 15 yrs!! My mother used to make them every year for xmas and new years.. Enjoy your holidays with the family..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Christmas puddings with my Nanna up in Canberra at the start of November and One of them is gluten-free for my sister! It's a shame I didn't realise you were looking for a recipe for one!

    My Nanna's Christmas pudding recipe is the best. I've never tasted a pudding that's better than hers. Would you be interested in a copy?

    Love the photos you and DS#2 took! You should make a cookbook of your own! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pudding looks so good, your Son could start moonlighting for recipe book Authors,
    Have a great Christmas. Jenny

    ReplyDelete