1 March 2018

Welcome to Autumn - And Now for some Marmalade

No - I Don't have a bumper crop of Oranges to use up.

No, this was a request from DS#2.  And as any Mother (no matter how old you are) knows, it is VERY difficult to refuse a request from Big Brown Eyes especially when it comes with "I know we can buy some, But YOURS is SO much better ...."

OK - One HALF batch of Orange Marmalade coming up.
My Old Recipe says to cut the Oranges very thin and cover with water - Leave Overnight.
Also - take any seeds and barely cover them with water and also soak overnight.

The next morning and - for me, preferably before anyone wakes up! - it is just Into the Jam Pot with the Oranges and Water.

Bring to the Boil and Simmer (covered) until the Rind is Soft.
Depending on your fruit - about 45 minutes should do it.



Measure the Fruit Mixture
and allow ONE cup of Sugar
to each Cup of Fruit Mixture.




Put it all back into your Pan with the drained water from the Seeds
(Throw the seeds out).



Stir to dissolve the Sugar until it comes to the Boil and then Boil - Uncovered this time - for about 20 minutes or until the Marmalade Jells when tested.

Pour into Hot sterilised Jam Jars.

Take care when doing this as it IS molten Sugar Syrup and will burn you badly if you spill it on your hands.

(It is also a good idea to make sure there are no pets you happen to be pet-sitting around at the time...
Spike knows not to get under my feet in the Kitchen but the DDIL's Cat? - Not so sure...)

Seal the Jars when Cold...

Three Oranges gave us 3 Jars PLUS one decorative Jam Pot - for today's breakfast table.

Very Tasty and More than enough to satisfy a craving.




2 comments:

  1. It's always fun hearing how every makes marmalade and jams that little bit differently. Looks delicious!

    I hope the jar I gave you went to good use, even if the chunky marmalade might have had to vanish in other ways...haha
    Like you, I prefer a thin-cut marmalade, which reminds me that I have some half-processed in the freezer that I should really get around to finishing!

    ReplyDelete