16 December 2020

HM Prison Pentridge - A New Chapter


 I have lived in the shadows of it's walls all my life.

I remember, as a Child seeing Armed Guards keeping watch from these very turrets.

Built 1858, Its stood here for 100 years before I was born.

It never worried me


I remember when Razor Wire was atop every Bluestone Wall.

I remember hearing the sound of Rocks being broken as Men served "Hard Labour"

I remember hearing the Bell Toll in 1967 for Ronald Ryan. 
The last person to be executed in Australia.


As a Young Law Student, My DH visited here while it was a working Prison.

He said it was oppressive and was very glad to leave.


Her Majesties Prison Pentridge, affectionately known by the Locals as the "Bluestone College" closed on 1 May 1997.


In the intervening years, there has been Archaeological work carried out - removing the Buried remains of Infamous Bushranger Ned Kelly as well as Ronald Ryan.  

Uncovering Historically significant exercise yards called Panopticons.


The Heritage Walls and Significant buildings remain - as do many of the Roses. 

Planted and tended by Prisoners long ago.

Today the Imposing Gates of the Main Entrance are Open.

All may pass through under the Clock tower.


I was told recently that "It Looks like No Prison I have ever seen - I am from Spain, This is a Castle, and I feel Safe here"

I am sure the inmates would not have shared her sentiments!


Today there stands Restored buildings and beautiful Open spaces.

This is the Prison Warders Residence with Wall capping making up the retaining wall for the lawn.



Today there is the sound of Children enjoying a Playground just meters from the infamous Panopticon exercise yard.

People now freely call Pentridge Home.



Today, they acknowledge the Traditional Wurundjeri Woi wurrung  People as well as Prison's history.


While welcoming us into Melbourne's newest Shopping and Cinema Precinct.


It is not a big Shopping Centre - more like a Boutique Arcade.

There are still shops to open and we are eager to see what else will come.


But in the meantime -
For me, It has ALL the necessities.


Coffee and a Black Forest Éclair from the French Patisserie anyone?



I wonder what the Prisoners of 1858 would think of it?





1 comment:

  1. I went for a tour after it was closed, in 1997. The whole place felt oppressive and creepy then, and I couldn't imagine it ever being a nice place to be.

    ReplyDelete