28 January 2021

Not quite Hexies

 As if I didn't already have enough to do I've started a new Challenge Project on Instagram this year!

"Focus cutting" is a project that sets a Block constructed of Half Hexagons each week that follows a Theme.

January - Pantone Colours of 2021 Yellow and/or Grey.

Week 1.  The Brief was an Identifiable Motif.

Fairly simple and I had fun doing it and then I realised that finding prints with enough clear space around them for 1 1/2" Half Hexagons was going to prove challenging.  

So - I downsized the blocks to a "hopefully" more achievable 1" size.

Week 2.  Obscure Sections.

Take a Fabric and cut it so that you cannot tell what the original fabric design was.

No one guessed that my "Butterflies" were actually Ballerina Tutus!


Week 3. Pattern Matching.

The idea was to match a pattern across the seam. 
I suppose I could have taken some of my Bugs from Week 1 and marched them around the block - but decided to pattern match an entire motif instead.

Week 4. Freestyle!

Focus Cutting on all 6 half hexagons.  Whole motifs, Central motifs, Pattern matching, Sections or a Whole scene. 
The choice was Ours.

I chose pretty flowers from a fabric I  would not normally buy to create 'Sunshine and Rain' for my Block.


The Focus Cutting Sewalong is Hosted by UK Quilter Naomi Clarke

If you are Interested in joining this group or seeing what the other talented quilters are producing - You can 'click the link' above or Go to Instagram and Search
#focuscuttingsewalong Hosted by @naomiealicec

 



1 comment:

  1. Didn't notice before that you are on instagram. Just started following you. I love your hexie creations so far!

    ReplyDelete