29 March 2021

10 Years - In Review

 Someone once said...."Strangers are just Friends we have not met yet".

And with that line and a good hearty dose of fear 
On the 29th March 2011
I launched my Very First Blog Post.

I had no idea where that journey was to take me.  I had no idea what wonderful friends I would meet along the way.  (G'day Vireya, Flossy, Glenda, Esther, Chris 'on the Farm' and all those Lurkers who read without comment . . . ) 
* * * * *

So Grab a Cuppa and here we go - 10 Years in a single Post!

2011 - It all started with progress reports on 'Hearts Desire' - A Mystery by Melbourne Designer, Esther Aliu.  Never before had I invested so much for a unknown result.

I came to realise that I enjoyed the creative writing side of Blogging and started to share more than just quilting. 
2011 also had its fair share of Ups and downs - Our 30th Wedding Anniversary, A Broken Ankle, Steampunk 21st Birthday Celebrations for my Twin Boys and ending with sharing our Family Christmas Aussie Style.



2012 - Looking back life was far from boring at Our place.  

Renovations to DD's bedroom, DS#1 heading off to Far Flung Places, Turning the House into a Movie set, and Welcoming a new member to the Family.
Spike - Our Beautiful (Scared of everything) Siberian Forest RSPCA Rescue Cat.



2013 - My Fortune Cookie Said " You should be able to undertake and Complete Anything".

It started with TWO Engagement parties, Dad's 90th Birthday, DS#2 Uni Graduation. 
With just 2 months notice, My 1st ever plane trip and to Michigan via Alabama at that. 
60th Wedding Celebration for my Folks followed by the sadness of loosing a Great Nephew.
But there were still Wedding Cakes to make and Broken Cars to replace before ending the year as DD said "I Do".



2014 - Started where we left 2013 with another Wedding on the hottest day ever.  More Wedding Cakes to make as well as starting 2 new Quilts.
DD Built and moved out of our place into their 'Forever Home' taking new family member Artemis Belle with them.  

I finally finished Hearts Desire (The Quilt that started it all,) and Won a Ribbon at Quilt Showcase!



2015 - Was a good year for Quilting with me finishing Judy Niemeyer's Bali Wedding Star and Mariners Compass and starting 2 new applique Quilts.  
I also volunteered for White Glove Duty at the AQC.  

August saw us playing tour guide to a Visitor from the USA and rounded off the year with some Gardening and Bee Keeping at DD's.



2016 - I berated myself for Volunteering for too much this year on top of finishing DS#1s Wedding Quilt - My extended version of Tamsin Harvey's  My Istanbul.
I started a Bonny Hunter and finished a Jinny Beyer and got to see The Rajah Quilt here in Melbourne.
We also celebrated our 35th (Coral) Anniversary with a trip to Cairns and the Barrier Reef. Finishing off the Year with DD Graduating her PhD.



2017 - Days after Graduating DD was offered a 12 month posting at the University of Strasbourg - France. Starting off one of the most exciting and traumatic years of my life!
Little did I know I would embark on 2 trips to Europe in a year, seeing such wonderful things I never thought I would ever see.

While at home we helped a Neighbour deal with her divorce and the Death of my Father.  A Great Nephew born, University Graduation (DS#1) 60th Birthdays and a Quilt Show.

With DD's safe return home - I was never so happy to see a year end.



2018 Didn't start well. DD just a few days home was rocked by the Suicide of a dear Friend and Colleague. 

The Year moved on with Wedding Cakes to make and a Garden that needed attention. "My Istanbul" having won the Convenors Award at Showcase last year was chosen for 'The Best of the Best' at the AQC this year.  
Once again we played Tour Guide to Separate Visitors from the USA and finished the year on a Happier note with DS#2s Engagement.


2019 - Another busy and exciting year with DH hanging up his Tie for good.  After removing some problem trees there was a new garden or two to build.
I got a new car and an empty garage to put it in. 
DS#1 moved into his newly built home and DS#2 started Wedding Plans.
Meanwhile DH and I enjoyed The Classic Australian Train Adventure onboard The Ghan.  
This was the year I decided to make a Temperature Quilt.


2020 How can I sum this year up in One Photo and a paragraph or two? - The Year All Hell Broke Loose.  Maelstrom Bushfires and  COVID-19. Spatial distancing, working from home and Facemasks impacted us all.

Life went on in a "New Normal" kind of way and we learnt to appreciate things we took for granted.
In a brief window of respite, DS#2 purchased his first home and moved out. 
I amused myself revisiting past holidays and making Flowers for their Wedding Cake.
  
And by year's end the Virus was under control, the Wedding went ahead (albeit much smaller) and we had welcomed 2 new Grand daughters and a Daughter-in-Law.

* * *
Thank you for still being here at the end.  Revisiting the last 10 years has made me realise that Life is So precious and far from boring and I am looking forward to seeing what the next 10 years will hold.




2 comments:

  1. Well - what can I say but congratulations on ten years of blogging. You managed to sum it all up pretty quickly. I have a book report on a 976 page book to sum up in a mere 8 pages. Can you help? I started reading your blog in 2015, the year I visited Melbourne and attended the big Quilt Show. I met up with blogging friends and got kissed by Sammy at Threadbear.
    blessings from my farm in Canada where grass is starting to turn green and flowers are poking their heads up out of the ground,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had an eventful 10 years! It seems to have flown by though. Reading your summary I was thinking, "Surely that wasn't so long ago?" at certain points.

    Then I searched back through the Sussex blog, and found that the first time I met you was 30th May, 2011, when you came along despite your son warning you about meeting people on the internet!

    ReplyDelete