24 July 2013

The Conference

The reason we went to the US was to attend a Chemistry Conference at the very lovely Grand Traverse Resort just out of Traverse City Michigan.
I had never been to anything like it and it was interesting to sit on the sidelines and observe.

What is the collective term for a group of people in this field?... 
no one seems to know,
so we decided that 
"An Explosion of Chemists" - seemed just about right.


I must admit being a little concerned, and bemused at the same time to observe this exchange.

I do wonder what exactly they were so intrigued about!

I left them and DD to their conference and spent a bit of my time wondering whether I could 
"Quilt the Carpet".  
There were certainly elements that are do able. 


The rest of the week was - just resting and walking the extensive grounds - I could have even taken up Golf if I had wanted to!  With THREE Courses at my fingertips it was tempting.  
But WHO needs another hobby?


All in all it was DD's time and a very successful one for her - 
She returns back home having met and talked with some of the top people in her field and with lots more ideas and techniques to explore. 
She also collected the
Prize for the Best Scientific Poster! 

(Makes it kinda worth dragging it half way across the world and back.)



(Footnote: DD is standing in front of the Conference Poster - 
Her's is in the Cylinder she is holding.)

3 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW what a proud moment for you my dear friend. She is a credit to her parents. Nice to hear you had a great experience.
    Hugs Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you both had a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I not surprised to find that you wanted to make a quilt using the carpet pattern? I must agree though, the pattern is very quilt-ish. ;)

    ReplyDelete