19 February 2020

Playing with Colour - Swapping Fabrics

I think I need to have some stern words with the person that coined the phrase "Quick Quilt".   Around this place - Nothing is simple and Nothing is Quick!

And so I come to an update on my "Distraction Project". 

Fabric Changes:
The fabric I chose for my Accent pieces was nice. Patterned shades of Yellow which when placed, lined up perfectly to show - Large Cabbage Roses! 
Not really the look I was after, and I knew there was nothing better in my stash.


Enter DH who had coincidentally, decided he wanted an outing - 

"Where is that Nursery - The one with the Cafe?"  - Huh, What? OK. 
So, I pointed Bessie "East" and kept driving until we found a Nursery/Cafe that we had not been to before.  And, at the bottom of the Garden was a wee Cottage that was Filled with - - - Fabric! (Yay!)

All boxes ticked in the one venue - Has to be some kind of record!

With the new accent chosen I settled down to .... 
"Um Mum..... Your Background doesn't work - It should be Black - sorry........."
Problem was, once I saw it I couldn't un-see it.  He was right the colours just didn't 'Pop' against the Ice Blue background.

Another trip to GJ's (my closest Fabric Fix Shop) - more Background Fabric and some pieces to replace the NQR colours in the Jelly Roll. 

The Original background fabric goes into the "Strip Scrap Drawer" and the thoughts for a second Quilt start. 


NOW maybe, I can start to actually work on this Project.

I have my fabric colours all sorted and cut and I am NOT changing anything else!



All my strips have been numbered and I have even made myself a MAP - so I don't get lost with my colour changes.

The video instructions suggest sewing these strips one at a time.

Which means that there is a lot of 2.5" seams.  And a LOT of thread tails...
I actually measured them - 8 cm of thread by 6 seams per strip = 48 cm of wasted thread each row.

And now for the Face Palm moment.

I had never got the point of "Leaders and Enders" because I always thought you sewed off the end and started again each time instead of Strip-piecing them...

Duh!



No more wasted thread and I now have an enormous pile of 'little patches' that may one day grow up to be a big quilt.


And the "Northern Lights" Quilt?

Just passed the half-way mark and wondering now if I could Quilt it myself QAYG style.

All I need is to find my Quilting Foot...
and THAT is another story, for another day!



Linking with cleverchameleon.com.au


1 comment:

  1. I've been to that nursery with the cafe and the fabric shop. The SCQuilters CBD group had their Christmas break-up there one year.

    Your colour map looks good - this is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete