20 September 2019

Day 7 - I Love Her Far Horizons

As a homesick 19 year old, Dorothea Mackeller wrote a Poem.  Originally titled "Core of My Heart" and later renamed to "My Country". 
This Poem is very close to my heart, and as I travel I collect Photographs that one day will accompany the entire Poem instead of just a few random quotes.


I Love a Sunburnt Country,
A Land of Sweeping Plains






Core of my Heart - My Country
Her Pitiless Blue Sky...



The Last excursion on our wonderful trip is 32 km from Coober Pedy at a place called "The Breakaways".  



On the way we stopped at The Dingo Proof Fence, at 5,531 km it is claimed to be the longest Fence in the World 


Originally built to keep the Rabbits Out (Yes Folks that IS a thing - not just a saying), it was later adapted to keep Dingoes from attacking livestock.



Our cheeky Bus driver advised us he has, at great expense to himself, 'organised some drinks' for us at our next stop.


We thought he was joking - Yet here, on a Plateau overlooking yet another breathtaking and Remote part of the Outback  -
Starched White tablecloths flapped in the breeze and cold Beer, Wine or Soft Drinks were waiting for us.





Photographs just cannot capture the vastness of this Place.





Or its Stark Beauty




It was hard to pull ourselves away - especially with stories of being here at night - with nothing but the Stars to light your way




But, Our Train awaits. . .









No comments:

Post a Comment